Abigail KellerBy Abigail Keller

Abigail Keller is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill’s Hussman School of Journalism and Media and is working as a communications intern with the Institute for the Environment during the 2023 fall semester. Abigail is a member of Epsilon Eta, which is Carolina’s environmental honors fraternity.

The hunt for a post-grad job is often scary and confusing. As a graduating senior, the looming application deadlines and questions about my future are sinking in now more than ever since my second-to-last semester is coming to a close.

When I first came to UNC, I knew I wanted to pursue journalism but was unsure of my focus. Over time, I discovered that combining my passion for environmental science and storytelling was something I could make a career out of.

I encourage students to attend as many networking and career events as they can, no matter how nerve-racking they might be at first. You never know what you might learn, who you might meet or what interest you might discover.

As a journalism major involved in the environmental science space, I know I may not have the same experiences or knowledge as my peers, but our dedication for the environment is the same. So when Epsilon Eta, the university’s environmental honors fraternity, and the UNC Institute for the Environment co-hosted a career panel event on Nov. 6, I knew it was time to network not only with professionals in the field, but also my peers and professors.

Walking into the Carolina Great Hall that evening in my business casual attire, I was slightly nervous. While I have networked before, it felt more serious now that I’m getting closer and closer to graduating.

More than 200 Carolina students attended the career panel session.

Is my business casual attire formal enough? Will I be confident enough to make myself a marketable applicant? Will there even be opportunities I’m able to pursue with little scientific background?

But that anxiety was quickly squashed when I saw smiling familiar faces, delicious Mediterranean Deli dishes and plenty of tables with professionals ready to talk.

To kick off the event, the guest panelists lined up on stage and introduced themselves. After a few minutes, the approximately 200 attendees huddled over several tables covered with brochures, stickers and business cards. There were opportunities to learn more about sustainable agriculture, marine biology, civic engagement and more.

The event featured career panelists from a variety of organizations, including:

• S. Environmental Protection Agency
  • North Carolina Conservation Network
  • American Efficient
  • Southern Environmental Law Center
 Maggie Burns with the NC Conservation Network talks with students.

As I talked to students, professionals and faculty, it made me excited to find my place in the environmental science field. I may not be able to do the research or understand environmental law, but I can write about it so more people can understand the world around them.

It’s events like these that make UNC such a great foundation for the future and I hope there will be more on-campus networking opportunities for students even after I turn my tassel.

This event was made possible through the generous support provided by the UNC Institute for the Environment Board of Visitors.

See more photos in our slideshow.

CareerPanel_110623_001